Home / Travel / Chris Brown wants suit over gunfire at his concert dropped

Chris Brown wants suit over gunfire at his concert dropped

Chris Brown wants a lawsuit filed against him because of gunfire that erupted at one of his shows to be dropped.Kevin Mazur/WireImage

Chris Brown wants a lawsuit filed against him because of gunfire that erupted at one of his shows to be dropped.

Singer Chris Brown wants a California judge to shoot down a lawsuit filed over gunfire that erupted at one of his shows last year.

The Grammy-winner claims in a filing obtained by the Daily News that he is not to blame for the “tragic shooting” that allegedly wounded plaintiff Paul Briley during his concert at the Fiesta Nightclub in San Jose on Jan. 11, 2015.

“While the shooting was horrific and senseless, Mr. Brown had no duty to ensure that a nightclub he did not own, possess or control had the expensive and burdensome security measures that plaintiff unreasonably demands,” Brown’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, said in the paperwork.

CHRIS BROWN BLASTS GRAMMYS: ‘TOO MANY PEOPLE KISS A–‘

Briley sued Brown last August in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

Identified then as a 22-year-old student at San Francisco State University, Briley claimed he was shot in the foot as Brown performed onstage.

Shots were fired at Chris Brown concert on Jan. 11, 2015.Chris Brown via Vine

Shots were fired at Chris Brown concert on Jan. 11, 2015.

He said he suffered nerve damage and deserved damages for his injuries, as well as for emotional pain and suffering.

Brown, 26, wants the case tossed, according to his filing. A hearing is set for April 12.

CHRIS BROWN WON’T FACE BATTERY, THEFT IN ALLEGED VEGAS INCIDENT

“Plaintiff fails to allege any facts indicating that Mr. Brown’s purported negligence was the proximate cause of the wild and indiscriminate shooting,” Geragos said in the filing requesting the dismissal. “Plaintiff’s threadbare claims are woefully inadequate.”

Brown’s lawyer said the singer is not to blame for the “tragic shooting” that allegedly wounded plaintiff Paul Briley during his concert at the Fiesta Nightclub in 2015.Michael Kovac/WireImage

Brown’s lawyer said the singer is not to blame for the “tragic shooting” that allegedly wounded plaintiff Paul Briley during his concert at the Fiesta Nightclub in 2015.

The Fiesta Nightclub had its liquor license suspended in the aftermath of the shooting and its entertainment permit revoked, the San Francisco Chronicle reported in September.

Brown — who was convicted in 2009 for a felony assault on then-girlfriend Rihanna — was caught up in another nightclub shooting in August 2014.

He was the host of an MTV Video Music Awards party at 1Oak in West Hollywood that ended with rap mogul Suge Knight getting shot several times by an unidentified gunman who remains at large.

ndillon@nydailynews.com

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.

Music & Arts – NY Daily News

About

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Read previous post:
American stabbed to death, six others wounded, in Israel

JERUSALEM — Vice President Biden arrived in Israel on Tuesday for a two-day visit that includes meetings with Israeli and...

Close